Call (253) 651-7494 to schedule your estimate, or use this form to submit your information, and we’ll contact you ASAP!
Stump Grinding FAQ
What is the cost of stump grinding?
$200 minimum mobilization charge plus:
$6.50 per inch in the front yard
$7.50 per inch in the back yard with minimum 35″ wide gate/path clearance.
Grinding Roots- $50 minimum and up – call us at (253) 651-7494 for a free estimate!
The stump grinder must be able to maneuver up to the stump. If the stump is upstairs or behind a retaining wall, or if you have less than 35″ of access the price is based on the individual circumstances. Please call us at (253) 651-7494 and request a quote!
Stumps must be cut down to near ground level with in 4″ of soil. There is an additional charge if the stump needs to be cut down before grinding, usually about $25-$50. If you hired us to do the tree removal and clean up than this can be included in the tree job at no extra charges.
Removal of grindings is 75% of the cost of what it cost per stump to grind. It is a good idea if you are planting a new tree, grass, sod, or other plants in the same spot within the next 6 months to remove the grindings.
We offer a volume discount for stump grinding jobs over $250.
What are the benefits of removing a stump by grinding?
Stump grinding is by far the most cost effective way to remove a stump from your property.
Other benefits of removing a stump by grinding:
- Will give you an opportunity to get some landscaping done at the same time as the stump digging done with heavy equipment.
- Will help eliminate new sprouting of certain species such as cottonwood and poplars.
- Eliminates differential settlement for new construction when properly back filled and compacted.
- Eliminates sink holes in your yard from a rotting stump.
- Helps remove diseased root systems for healthier nearby and future trees.
- Enables you to install sprinkler systems without hitting the buried stump and its surface roots.
- Lets you change or lower the contour of your landscape
- Removes unsightly and potentially dangerous stumps
- Increase curb appeal and home resale value
- No dangerous chemicals for pets or children
Why not just dig up the stump completely?
The other main method of stump removal is to dig up the entire stump and haul it away. In some circumstances, this is the best solution, but not very often.
- It costs 2-6 times more than stump grinding
- In most cases it tears up your yard
- Sometimes underground utilities get in the way.
- It may take a hole 14 feet across an up to 10 feet deep to dig out a typical 30″ fir stump, and digging a hole that size requires another large area for the pile of dirt!
- It cost $35 per ton in dump fees to dump plus trucking to dispose of a tree stump. Tree stumps weigh a lot!
Why Remove A Stump From Your Property?
Tree stumps often interfere with property improvements – you will not be able to lower the contour of the yard, roots and hidden stump may interfere with sprinkler system installations or even something as simple as digging a post hole. Tree stumps will also rot over time, potentially resulting in low spots years down the road.
Stump Grinding is Cost Effective
Stump grinding is the most cost effective way to remove stumps and minimize the amount of damage to your property. In most cases, once we are finished, there is no sign that equipment was ever on your property. Our modern stump grinding equipment is light, maneuverable, quick, and non-intrusive. Bob’s Property Solutions has the right equipment for every job we do.
Professional Stump Grinding Equipment and Service
For most stumps we use our Vermeer commercial grinder. We will grind the stump 6″ below the grade of the soil unless otherwise specified. If you need it ground deeper please request it at the time of estimate or before we start the job; it must be clearly stated on your written estimate. Please note: grinding the roots extending from the tree is also a big job; make sure to let us know if you need roots ground as well as the grinding stump.
Stump Grinding = Landscaping Mulch!
The stump grinding chips are left behind and piled next to where the stump was, unless otherwise specified in the written estimate. Beware of other companies that fill the stump hole with the grindings – there’s a reason we don’t use wood chips as construction fill! This practice can result in an unsafe situation, leaving high spots, low spots, or soft spots where the stump was previously located.
Don’t forget to call 811
You must call 811 to request utility locates three days before requesting stump grinding services for depths greater than 2″. This is essential, as accidentally cutting water, electricity, or gas lines can be very dangerous and costly to fix! Your utility company will come to your property and mark your utility lines at no cost to you.